I currently work as a researcher on global development issues at HIVA-KU Leuven. I conduct research on international development policy, focusing on (1) new trends and actors in global development, (2) social policy and social justice (i.e. gender equality), (3) migration and development, and (4) planning, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes.
Before joining HIVA I worked as a development practitioner in the NGO sector. I was involved in programme management in Belgium and Peru with a thematic focus on sustainable development, human rights and gender equality. More specifically, I worked as a project assistant on sustainable development at BOS+ (2012-2014) and as a gender and youth inclusion advisor at Trias NGO in Peru (2015-2017).
Connections/interactions with Latin America:
- Bachelor and master studies in Spanish and Portuguese literature, with focus on Latin-American literature and culture
- Master's thesis on the socio-historical context in two Mexican picaresque novels (Master in Comparative Modern Literature, with focus on French, Spanish and Portuguese literature - University of Ghent, 2010).
- Master's thesis on the US influence on the Mexican drug policy in the period 1982-2010 (Master in International Relations and Diplomacy - University of Antwerp, 2011).
- Dissertation on the gender dimension of youth not in employment, education or training in Peru (Specialization in Public Policy for Equality in Latin America - CLACSO, 2017).
- 4-month internship as project assistant at Asociación Putumayo Perú, in Iquitos, Perú (2012)
- 3-month internship at the Belgian Embassy in Brazil (2012)
- 1,5 year of living in Brazil while following courses at the university of Brasília and working as a language teacher and researcher (2014-2015)
- 2 years of working in Peru as a gender and youth inclusion advisor at Trias NGO (2015-2017)